1, 4 Dioxane is a petroleum-derived contaminant considered to be a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and considered to a definite animal carcinogen by the National Toxicology Program. It is part of a list of chemicals known or suspected to cause cancer and birth defects. However, you will never find it listed as an ingredient on any packaging because it is a contaminant produced during manufacturing, not added during the manufacturing process. Therefore, the FDA does not require it to be listed as an ingredient on product labels.
1,4-Dioxane is a manmade compound primarily used in industrial solvent applications in manufacturing. It is found in fumigants, automotive coolant, and is used as a stabilizer that prevents the breakdown of certain solvents during manufacturing. 1.4 dioxane is also used as a foaming agent and appears as an accidental byproduct in cosmetics manufacturing. Ethoxylation is a cheap process used by cosmetic companies to provide mild properties to harsh ingredients. This process requires the use of the cancer-causing petrochemical ethylene oxide, which generates 1,4-Dioxane.
It is an eye and respiratory tract irritant, and is suspected to cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys. It has caused death because of accidental exposure. California has listed 1, 4 dioxane as a known carcinogen since 1988. It forms contamination plumes in groundwater after it has been released into the environment and has adversely impacted several areas around the world as it resists biodegradation.
Testing sponsored by an independent consumers organization in 2008 found 1, 4 dioxane in almost half of tested personal care products. It is present in shampoos, liquid dishwashing soap, baby lotion, hair lotions, bath foam, food additives, mouthwashes, deodorants, and can also be found in shrimp, chicken, tomatoes, coffee, and some condiments.
Bismuth is found naturally in the Earth’s crust. It is twice as abundant as gold but not economical to mine. The demand of this mineral would not be met by mere mining because it would make bismuth cost prohibitive for use in cosmetics. So, rather than use mining as a way of acquiring bismuth, it is produced as a byproduct in the processing of other metal ores such as lead, copper, tin, silver, gold, tungsten and other metallic elements. The difference between natural bismuth and bismuth oxychloride is the refining process. In its’ raw form many of its’ chemical properties are closely related to antimony and arsenic.
In order for bismuth to be usable, it goes through the Betts Process. It is first run through an electrolytic solution of lead fluorosilicate and fluorosilicic acid. Then it is filtered, dried and smelted in order to further refine the ingredient. Because the bismuth is still not safe it is then put through molten caustic zinc and then chlorinated. This creates a toxic sludge called bismuth chloride. It is then treated with water, dried, and further treated with a diluted nitric acid solution of bismuth nitrate and sodium chloride. Only then does it become bismuth oxychloride. It has a pearl-like shine and has formed into crystals that give your skin a glow (or shine) that some women find annoying or tacky.
The FDA has laid out strict regulations on bismuth oxychloride. They require it to be 98% bismuth oxychloride pure. However, it is not required to be free of lead, arsenic, volatile matter and mercury in specific amounts (not made public). The rules of the FDA are only followed if the bismuth oxychloride has been produced in the US or Canada. Sadly, across the world the laws are much less stringent, and many products are imported from other countries.
Many women turn to mineral makeup in the hopes of finding a safe alternative to commercial makeups, only to find out that this heavy metal toxin is causing irritated skin, itching, rashes, and even mild to severe cystic acne. If you are looking to try mineral makeup, check to see if it contains this horrible ingredient. Even if your makeup is listed as “all natural,” look for bismuth oxychloride. When used it is like shoving tiny metallic particles into your pores, causing damage and leaving your body to fight this foreign chemical.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) are damaging chemicals that many of us use on a daily basis. SLS’s are cleaning agents called surfactants. Highly effective at removing grease from almost any surface, SLS’s are used to de-grease garage floors and car engines, and they are the main ingredient in dish liquid and laundry detergent.
Unfortunately SLS is also the main ingredient in most commercial shampoos, body washes, bath bars, and baby baths. This cheap foaming agent is so corrosive and damaging to human skin that it is used in labs to give lab animals eczema and other skin irritations so a cure can be studied and developed.
Because SLS’s corrode the skin so easily, it allows other toxins to enter your body by way of your body’s largest organ--your skin. Don’t forget; your skin already absorbs over 60% of what you put onto it. So, when SLS’s break down your protective barrier, other environmental toxins can easily enter your body.
A study at the University of Georgia Medical College, showed indications of SLS penetrating eyes, contributing to cataracts, while also linked to liver and brain damage. It does not easily cleanse out of the human body because it cannot be metabolizes by the liver, so it collects in the body causing organ and tissue damage.
“Scientific studies have proven that sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), found in most shampoos, damages protein formation in the eyes. After damage has been done, SLS even retards the healing process. Kenneth Gree, PhD, DSc of the Medical College of Georgia warns that eyes affected by SLS take longer to heal. SLS can lead to cataract formation and eventually blindness, not only from direct eye contact but through skin absorption over the long term. SLS has also been known to corrode the hair follicle and impede hair growth. It has been blamed for many cases of premature hair loss. I have noticed that many young to middle-aged Canadian males have almost no hair or are even bald. It takes hair longer to grow when it has been affected by SLS. SLS is found in car wash soap, engine degreaser, toothpaste, lotions and garage floor cleaners. Exposure to SLS can lead to burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting, according to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of the U.S. government.”
Underground Naturals is dedicated to providing all natural, safe, pure body care products for you and your family. Read our blog to learn more about why we do what we do, what ingredients you should avoid, and what ingredients we recommend.
Underground Naturals is owned by Baxter Naturals, LLC
PO Box 665
Gloucester, VA 23061
Website Copyrighted. All information on this website belongs to Underground Naturals and Baxter Naturals, LLC. All photos and information found on this website is intended for educational purposes and is not intended to diagnose possible health issues.
COPYRIGHT 2017, Underground Naturals by Baxter Naturals, LLC
All rights reserved